Thursday, November 11, 2010

"...as children grow, so does faith."

One of my goals as Director of Children's Ministry is to use my experience in education to explore age appropriate activities and curricula for our children. In my research I came across this article on the Children's Ministry site (link located on the right of the blog). What caught my eye is the connection between educational theories on child development and the author, Rick Chromey's comments on children's spiritual development. Here are a few key ideas that I pulled from the article but feel free to check out the entire article!


  • Birth-3 yrs Faith is feeling

  • 3-6yrs Faith is "fitting in" or belonging

  • 7-9yrs Faith is mythic/literal, separating fact from fiction (and more!)

  • 10-12yrs As decision-makers, these children can and need to see that faith is every second of every day as they strive to make life applications

There is SO MUCH MORE in this article than I can put into bullet point so i hope that you will check out the article and at least read about what Rick Chromey says about the age range of your children.

1 comment: